10. An Exercise in Rust Removal
10. An Exercise in Rust Removal (27 Images)
By: Ken Leedham, GHSC Member
This post deals with an attempt to restore the head of a club which was extremely badly rusted.
Spoiler alert – the results weren’t as successful as might have been hoped… the rust was ultimately removed, but the head was, perhaps naturally, badly pitted, and nothing could really be done about that, short of completely re-grinding the surfaces (which I have seen done, but did not want to do here).
The 27 thumbnail images below read left-to-right across each line, and then down to the next line. Mouse over an individual thumbnail image to see the title. Click on an individual thumbnail image to see a larger image.
Image #1: Rusty Club Head – Here is the head of the club, as I obtained it.
Image #2: Back of the Head – And this is the back of the head. The club head was made by Auchterlonie, St. Andrews. It appears to be a ladies’ light iron or mashie type club.
Image #3: Closer View – Here is a closer view of the head. As you can see, it is extremely badly rusted.
Image #4: The Face – This is the face. I believe the club may have been buried in the ground, to become so rusted. It came with no grip on the shaft, but the original, stamped Auchterlonie shaft was otherwise in ok condition.
Image #5: Rust Remover – Because of the degree of rust on this club, I decided to try a new rust-removal product. This is ‘Evapo-Rust’ a bath type rust remover, which is non-toxic and not corrosive.
Image #6: Immerse Head – I immersed the head in a bath of Evapo-Rust in an old yoghurt container.
Image #7: Face After 6 Hours – This is the face after 6 hours in the Evapo-Rust.
Image #8: Back After 6 Hours – And here is the back after the 6 hours. Some of the rust has been dissolved, but much remains.
Image #9: Next morning – This is the next morning, after 16 hours in the Evapo-Rust.
Image #10: Scrub with Brush – I took the head out and scrubbed it with a bronze brush. Here is the back …
Image #11: Other Side – … and here is the face. Although some areas are clear, quite a bit of rust still remains.
Image #12: Much Later – This 5 and half hours later, after 21 and a half hours in Evapo-Rust.
Image #13: Other Side – And the back after the 21 and half hours.
Image #14: Wire Wheel – I used a wire wheel on a Dremmel tool to take off some of the remaining rust.
Image #15: Face after Wheel – And here is the face after going over with the wire wheel.
Image #16: After 24-Hour Soak – This is after 24 hours of soaking.
Image #17: Face After Scrubbing – The face scrubbed with the bronze brush after 24 hours in Evapo-Rust.
Image #18: Back After Scrubbing – And the back scrubbed with the bronze brush after 24 hours in Evapo-Rust.
Image #19: Face After More Wheel – And the face after going over with the wire wheel.
Image #20: Back After More Wheel – And the back after the wire wheel.
Image #21: Sanding Cylinder – Now I put a sanding cylinder on the Dremmel tool …
Image #22: Sand Back – … and sand over the back …
Image #23: Sand Hosel – … and the hosel …
Image #24: Sand Face – … and the face.
Image #25: Finishing – Then I finished up with progressively finer emery paper, and steel wool.
Image #26: Final Back – This is the final state of the back …
Image #27: Final Face – …and the final state of the face. Unfortunately, but understandably, badly pitted. I believe only grinding the metal would take the club much further than this, and I’d rather not do that. The club doesn’t look too bad like this, and should be quite playable. See Gripping with Listing for details of putting a grip on this club.