Lakeview GC – 125th Anniversary (2021)
GHSC News Item: September 18, 2021 – Lakeview GC Anniversary
Location: Lakeview Golf Course, Mississauga ON
Reported by: George Supol, GHSC Board Member
On Saturday, September 18, 2021, four Hickory Ambassadors from GHSC (Lorne Emery, Allan Lew, Rick Murray and George Supol) actively participated in Lakeview Golf Course’s 125th anniversary celebration.
Here are a few extracts from Lakeview’s storied past (care of “Toronto’s Lost Golf Courses, Volume 1, 1869~1919” by Scott Burke and Joanne Doucette, and also Kathleen A. Hick’s “Lakeview: Journey from Yesterday“).
The course started out in 1896 as High Park Golf Course in Toronto and later relocated in 1907 to its present location (in nearby Mississauga). In 1910, the course changed its name to Lakeview Golf and Country Club. On July 8, 1911, the club opened its new clubhouse. (That clubhouse later burned down in 1939 and was rebuilt in 1940.)
Lakeview was redesigned in 1921 by Herbert Strong as a traditional, parkland style layout of 6,340 yards. Construction management was awarded to Thompson, Cumming and Thompson but in the spring of 1921, TCT was dissolved and projects were taken over by Lewis and Thompson. It is most likely that Stanley Thompson did his Lakeview field work in 1921-22.
In 1957, Lakeview began to operate as a municipal golf course when it was leased to Toronto Township. In 1965, the Township purchased the course outright at which time, women were once again given full privileges to enjoy playing the course. In 1968, the municipality was renamed the Town of Mississauga and in 1974 after further amalgamation, it became the City of Mississauga.
Lakeview Golf Course is a two-time host to the Canadian Open (1923 and 1934) and is designated as an Ontario Heritage site. Between 1922 and 1934, Lakeview was classed as one of the most popular courses in the country and hosted ten or so important Canadian tournaments.
Although Lakeview GC maintains that its club started golf operations in 1896, Golf Canada lists the Lakeview course as having officially started in 1907 when the Club opened its doors at its present location. Depending on one’s viewpoint, Lakeview is in a tied position for either the 18th (for 1896) or 53rd (for 1907) oldest golf club/course in Canada.
For the two-hour celebration, GHSC provided a nice display of pre- and post-1900 clubs, and Lakeview patrons were able to try some putts with hickory putters and ask questions about the clubs, balls and other items we had on display. Players coming off the 9th green generally paused to ask a few questions about hickory clubs and play and to interact with our ambassadors, before continuing with their rounds.
- George Supol and Allan Lew from GHSC
- George Supol practicing putting using a hickory club
- Rick Murray with an old grass cutter
- Club displays by GHSC from the collections of Lorne Emery and George Supol (2 pics)
- Original featheries
- Bag, clubs and grass cutter
- Trophy from High Park Golf Club (later renamed Lakeview Golf Course), care of Stan Lapidus, GHSC Board Member
- Two pics from GHSC Hickory Ambassador play at Lakeview.