Golf Canada Hickory Division
May 20, 2021 Joint Press Release (by GHSC and Golf Canada)
We’re happy to provide our Members with some great news.
Recently, your Board of Directors and Golf Canada agreed to a framework and structure to define a GHSC/Golf Canada Hickory Division which promises to be a huge WIN /WIN for all of us!
Golf Canada is the National Sports Federation and governing body of golf in Canada with the vision of being a world leader in golf. Working in partnership with the provincial golf associations, Golf Canada currently represents approximately 272,000 golfers across the country as well as over 1,400 facilities.
So what’s in it for you?
- An extensive list of services, discounts, and access to the first Hickory Handicap System sanctioned by any country’s National Governing Golf Body;
- Loss/damage/breakage/theft insurance for your hickory clubs (see Note at bottom of page) and a set of I.D. Club Tags for your play set; and
- Many other benefits that can be found listed at https://join.golfcanada.ca (or see commentary below).
Under this Hickory Division membership, should you snap a shaft mid-round, leave a Niblick beside a green ‘somewhere’ or heaven forbid have a club (or two) stolen from your bag, your loss is covered with only a minimum deductible. Posting your hickory scores on the new hickory handicap web-based system gets you a formal, sanctioned Hickory Handicap which opens the door for all of us to participate in some fun, equitable competition. We hope this will lead up to a Regional and/or Provincial Hickory Championship tournament in the future, and once current lockdown measures open up, we can arrange formal hickory Invitational and Open events on a come-one-come-all basis.
We have been working behind the scenes with Golf Canada since early this year to create this Hickory Division which formally recognizes and legitimizes hickory golf and the GHSC in the eyes of Canada’s National Organizing Golf Body. To the best of our knowledge, No other National Organizing Golf Body Anywhere has recognized the importance of hickory golf by taking these steps. This of itself is a major accomplishment, but when coupled with the other tangible benefits outlined herein, this becomes a serious win for both Golf Canada and the GHSC.
The GHSC will realize significantly more exposure from this new relationship via both Organization’s facebook and web pages, info and print articles in both of our Newsletters as well as opportunities for GHSC members to participate in Golf Canada/Golf Ontario events. This will elevate public knowledge about us and hopefully assist us in growing interest in the GHSC and growing our membership at the same time.
If you are already a Golf Canada member (and therefore already a club member) you’re now paying the annual fee to receive all of the benefits below FOR YOUR MODERN GOLF EQUIPMENT.
- Official Golf Canada Handicap Index , personalized golf club I.D.Tags.
- Up to $6,000 in incident protection split to cover broken windows, automobile windshields, broken, lost or stolen clubs, broken golf carts.
- Full access to Golf Canada App with GPS, advanced score/stat tracking, handicapping, social media engagement.
- Up to 25% off Avis Car Rentals.
- Up to 11% off Hilton Hotels with complimentary room upgrade.
- 10% off Golf Canada Merchandise.
- 15% off RBC CDN Open and CP Women’s Open tickets/packages.
- Golf Benefits with RBC Home and Auto Insurance.
- Access to Rules of Golf Seminars and online rules resources.
To receive these benefits specific to YOUR HICKORY GOLF EQUIPMENT, you only need to pay an additional $25.00 per annum. That gets you a second set of I.D. tags for use on your hickory clubs, a second access code to use to sign into the Hickory Handicap system, and additional coverage for your hickory clubs for damage, breakage, theft, loss etc.
If you are not currently a Golf Canada member you can become a GHSC/Golf Canada Hickory Member and take advantage of all of the benefits as outlined above at a cost of $45.00 per annum.
See our Join Us page to purchase your Hickory Handicap.
Over time, as more GHSC members register to participate within this new Golf Canada Hickory Division, we fully expect to be able to work with Golf Canada and Golf Ontario outside of our own GHSC ‘events calendar’ to offer our members SANCTIONED golf events across the Province. At this point, we are only able to offer Golf Canada Hickory Division Memberships to GHSC members within the Province of Ontario where better than 90% of our members currently reside. We still need to grow our membership counts outside of Ontario significantly and hopefully this initiative will help in that regard.
Golf Canada and the GHSC are continuing discussions and the door is wide open for future growth of this relationship. If you are interested in getting ‘signed up’ to join us as a full-fledged Hickory Division Member, or if you have any questions on the arrangement, please contact Jeff Rogers, GHSC President by email at email@example.com or by phone at 905-925-6831.